Too Much Chlorine In Your Drinking Water?

Chlorine is present in most disinfected drinking water. Too much Chlorine in your Drinking Water? Looking for water purification? Call us at 772-301-1767. As you know, tap water comes from various sources, such as rivers, lakes, and federal water wells, which are likely to be contaminated with germs, causing waterborne diseases in people who consume it without first treating and disinfecting the water. To prevent water contamination, water companies such as the Port Saint Lucie water supply add a disinfectant—often either Chlorine or Chloramine—to kill waterborne disease-causing germs such as bacteria and viruses. This improves water quality, making it safe to drink. 
If chlorine is used to disinfect your water, do you have chlorine in your drinking water? How much chlorine is too much chlorine? Is chlorine harmful in small amounts, such as what’s in our drinking water? What are the alternatives to disinfect drinking water other than adding chlorine?

There are different disinfection methods to combat waterborne diseases along with the water treatment processes such as sedimentation and filtration. Chlorination is one method used to make water safe to drink, The U.S. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has approved the use of chlorine or chloramines for water treatment, so what can we do to get it out? 
First, you should have your water tested. Many of us are aware that chlorine is in our drinking water as we can smell it. If you wonder whether or not there are additional disinfectants in your water, you can connect with our water treatment experts to get a report. Call Eastern Water and Health or reach us online for your queries.

Call #PSLWaterGuy for Cleaner Healthier Water

What Is Drinking Water Disinfection?

Drinking water chlorination or drinking water disinfection is the process of adding chlorine to water to kill parasites, bacteria, and viruses. Different disinfection methods can reduce waterborne diseases and contaminants to achieve safe drinking water, which is often determined by chlorine levels in drinking water.
Drinking water with a small amount of chlorine doesn’t have any harmful effects and protects against waterborne diseases, but is it good for the body? Overall the answer to this question is not always clear. 
The human body does a great job processing chemicals and contaminants, but it does add strain to the body. Taking chlorine or chloramine out of the water supply makes it taste better and skips the need for your body to process any level of chlorine or chloramine. 

Can Chlorine In Drinking Water Be Harmful?

Your water supplies company monitors water quality routinely to provide you with safe drinking water. However, they add chlorine as per the standard level given by the World Health Organization. 
Too much chlorine can cause your chest and airway to feel a burning sensation. It can cause coughing and potential sore throat, but many of these symptoms would be due to exposure to much higher levels of chlorine, such as those found in swimming pools rather than drinking water. Some people are more sensitive to chemicals, however. Individuals with health risks or sensitivities should definitely look into water purification for their homes.

Can Chlorine Levels be Too High in Drinking Water?

According to a study conducted by the World Health Organization, increased chlorine levels in drinking water can lead to health issues. An increased risk of bladder cancer is said to be associated with the consumption of water that is high in chlorine. St Lucie County monitors chlorine levels in the water, but, again, why risk the unnecessary consumption of any chlorine? Get your water purified. 

What Are The Safe Levels Of Chlorine In Water?

Chlorine levels up to 4 ml per liter or 4 parts per million (PPM) are considered safe for drinking. If you consume water that contains 4 parts per million of chlorine, the harmful health effects are unlikely to occur. We suggest you remove all chemicals and contaminants. For big communities or businesses, fast disinfection processes are necessary, but they are not necessary for each individual home. Solving this issue is as simple as installing a high-end water system such as a Reverse Osmosis system.

What Are THMS In Drinking Water?

Trihalomethanes, or THMS, are chemical compounds that are often formed when water is disinfected with chlorine. THMS occur during chlorination with organic matter in water, and for this reason, they are more common in surface water supplies across the U.S.

Does Chlorine Affect Patients on Dialysis?

A large amount of water is used to clean waste products out of a patient’s blood during dialysis. While the water comes in direct contact with the patient’s blood, dialysis centers must treat the water properly to remove all the chemical compounds, disinfectants, and chlorine before the water is used for dialysis.
Home dialysis users can consult with their water system manufacturers for instructions to treat water for dialysis.

Drinking Water Disinfection Affects Water’s Smell And Taste

Chlorine in the water (treated water) can taste and smell different from untreated water. Some people like the taste and smell of treated water and others do not. If you wonder if drinking water disinfection changes your water’s smell and taste, then yes, it does.
Taste and smell differences are noticeable effects that may occur with disinfection practices, depending on the water quality and the amount of chlorine in the water. If you want to ensure odor-free drinking water, we’d recommend you install a water treatment system along with your water distribution system.

Chlorine or Chloramine Disinfection?

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) allows drinking water treatment plants to add chlorine or chloramine to disinfect drinking water. Water distributor systems have pipes that might develop a layer of biofilm that makes killing germs even harder.
While Chlorine is considered a highly effective water disinfection method, it produces small chemical compounds called “disinfection byproducts.” To meet the EPA Standard of minimizing disinfection byproducts, some water utilities have switched to Chloramine.

​Will Disinfected Drinking Water Affect My Pets Or Plants?

Disinfected water is not harmful to all pets or animals. However, Chlorine and Chloramine can be highly toxic to fish, other aquatic animals, reptiles, and amphibians. Unlike human and common household pets, these types of animals consume water directly into the blood, thus, are more likely to get affected by chlorinated water.
However, a small amount of chlorine added to water won’t affect other pets, such as mammals and birds.

Drinking highly chlorinated water is not tasty and can be unsafe. Call Eastern Water and Health for high-end water treatment system installation to reduce or remove chlorine in drinking water.
Seraphinite AcceleratorOptimized by Seraphinite Accelerator
Turns on site high speed to be attractive for people and search engines.